(This page is only referring to our upcoming debates, not our MasterClasses or the League of Motions)
The Motion uses a format similar to public forum debate, and Intelligence Squared US debates.
Upon arrival, each audience member will receive two ballots indicating their stance for, against, or undecided on the evening's motion.
The moderator will make opening remarks, and provide a brief lesson on one or more facets of debate. First ballots will be collected from the audience and tallied, indicating the preliminary temperature of the room.
- Debater #1 (Arguing for the motion) - 5 minutes
- Debater #2 (Arguing against the motion) - 5 minutes
- Debater #3 (Arguing for the motion) - 5 minutes
- Debater #4 (Arguing against the motion) - 5 minutes
- Questions exchanged between both teams, with supplementary questions from the moderator and audience - 30 minutes
- Debater #2 Summary - 3 minutes
- Debater #1 Summary - 3 minutes
- Debater #4 Summary - 3 minutes
- Debater #3 Summary - 3 minutes
Second ballots will be collected from the audience after the debate and tallied. The team with the highest positive change in votes is the winner.
i.e. Audience voting for the motion: 1st ballot (20 votes) // 2nd ballot (30 votes) = +10 vote differential
Audience voting against the motion: 1st ballot (10 votes) // 2nd ballot (25 votes) = +15 vote differential and WINNER